Breast feeding is beautiful. While it goes without saying that breast milk is the best food for a new born (supported by tons of studies, old wives’ tales, I mean come on literally everything). Some of us just have trouble establishing it for various reasons and need the help of an Electric Breast Pump. Formula might be helpful and comes with convenience and pretty decent nutritional value, the cost that comes with it can be killing for your budget. If you are a mom who is:
- working outside home
- having health issues,
- having trouble establishing latching/ breast feeding in the first place,
- providing milk for a preemie
- having trouble with milk supply or
- really into providing breast milk without resorting to direct breast feeding.
Then, bless science, we have the ultimate help called breast pumps. As a mother of five, I wish somebody have had told me about it before my first one came along. The breast feeding didn’t come naturally to us despite thousands of tries. We just couldn’t establish latching and bless my husband who researched and boom; we had a new addition to our family called breast pump. The little angel has been my trusted partner every time the new addition took place. However, I still believe that knowing your needs in terms of breast feeding and then finding the model that fits them, takes time and research and this is what this article is all about.
Why Electric Breast Pumps?
Because they are way more efficient than the manual ones and worth the tag as manual ones can give your hands a serious workout. Having a breast pumping bra and an efficient pump can turn something as tedious and boring as breast pumping into some me-time in which you can enjoy some facial mask and a smoothie while doing some reading, just scrolling down your phone or may be talking to your bestie.
Mom’s Choice: Top Five (Buy them from here)
|Spectra S1 Plus Electric Breast Pump||Best Affordable Double Breast Pump||BUY FROM AMAZON|
|Medela Pump In Style Advanced On-the-Go Tote||Best for Women with Large Breast and also for milk oversupply||BUY FROM AMAZON|
|Lansinoh Signature Pro Double Electric Breast Pump||Best Affordable Pump for Increase in Milk Supply||BUY FROM AMAZON|
|Willow Electric Pump||Best Wearable Pump for Working and Exclusively Pumping Moms||BUY FROM AMAZON|
|BelleMa Effective Pro Double Electric Breast Pump||Best Independent Dual Control||BUY FROM AMAZON|
Types of Breast Pumps
There are many electric breast pumps out there fitting in following categories:
- Heavy duty double breast pumps
- Single side electric pumps
- Battery operated pumps
While making a decision of investing in breast pumps, you would want the one that:
- Is light weight and easy to carry
- Is quiet or has less obvious sound,
- Has strong suction strength
- Is hands free (some models allow both hand-held and hands free options) and
- Is either covered by your insurance or is economic enough for you.
Now that you know what to look for in a breast pump, here are our top 5 picks for 2020. These are tried and tested machines that are not only used by the mamas in our team but also by a huge lot of helping mamas that contributed in our surveys. So here we go:
1. Spectra S1 Plus Electric Breast Pump (Best Affordable Double Breast Pump)
Wow oh wow, this baby ticks all the right boxes in our list. Here are the salient features:
- Double side pumping,
- pretty economic and has least noise in the hospital-grade pump range,
- adjustable speed and suction strength
- hygienic closed-pumping technique,
- night light
- built-in battery for pumping on the go
- timer for preset pumping pattern
- easily available spare parts
No matter why you are opting for breast pumping, Spectra S1 is the ultimate aide for you. Also, if you want to go for the same benefits in a lesser cost, Spectra S2 will do. Other than one side pumping and no built-in battery, the benefits are pretty much the same.
2. Medela Pump In Style Advanced On-the-Go Tote (Best for Women with Large Breasts and also for milk oversupply)
Medela has been a popular name for baby feeding accessories for quite some time now and the brand has earned respect as one the main choices among moms. This model is the one when you want smooth breast pumping in budget. Its salient features are as follow:
- Portable as it comes in a bag,
- Efficient suction,
- Easy to clean
- Easily available spare parts,
- Not too loud but obvious pumping sound,
- Multiple flange size i.e. 24mm and 27mm
- Comes with a cooler for effective breast milk storage
You would need power outlet for this one. Also, it has open-system pumping so milk can flow back rarely.
3. Lansinoh Signature Pro Double Electric Breast Pump (Best Affordable Pump for Increase in Milk Supply)
A reasonably priced model, Lansinoh has done its homework in providing most comfortable pumping experience to the moms. This is specifically one of our favourites and we’ll tell you why:
- Multiple pumping styles and adjustable suction levels providing moms complete control over their preference
- Simple assembly
- Closed system avoiding back flow and milk contamination
- Easy cleaning
- Microwave friendly parts
- Mimics natural feeding pattern with efficient letdown and extraction
- Comfortable flanges that are also adaptable to bigger sizes
- Works well on batteries as well as direct power
If you are looking for a pump for exclusive breast pumping, willing to increase milk supply, have inverted nipples making latching a problem or store a stash for later use, then Lansinoh would be your partner in the deed.
4. Willow Electric Pump (Best Wearable Pump for Working and Exclusively Pumping Moms)
While most of the pumps work well with pumping bras and enable you to go completely hands free, Willow has gone one step further by providing you a completely tubeless and cordless breast pump. Yes, it’s a pump inside your bra. From pump to container, everything is hidden. So, pumping on the go literally means pumping on the go. Even if you are in a meeting, playing with your baby or doing grocery shopping, a pre-determined setting and control over pumping style and speed through your mobile is something like cherry on the cake.
Why we recommend it:
- Spill-proof in any and every position
- Absolutely quiet
- Multiple pumping styles and speed responding well to sensitive nipples
- Complete control over pumping through mobile app which keeps track of volume, history and personal pumping preferences
- Dishwasher friendly
- Heavy duty rechargeable battery
- BPA free storage bags
- Multiple flange size to select from
- Has been known to allow more milk extraction as compared to other pumps
Is it expensive? Yes, but if you are a career-oriented mom or an exclusive pumping mama providing for baby, then this model is definitely for you. The benefits clearly outweigh its cost. Willow pump further provides instalment plans too, so affordability is not a big issue here.
5. BelleMa Effective Pro Double Breast Pump (Best Independent Dual Control)
BellaMa has designed a pretty decent machine allowing discreet double pumping in a fairly affordable price. It’s portable, efficient, FDA approved, BPA free and dishwasher friendly like many breast pumps out in the market. Why we recommend it? Because it allows you to control pumping speed and style independently on both sides; something that no other pump does. So for times when you have breast engorgement, mastitis issues, oversupply from one side or just a sensitive nipple and you need a double breast pump, go for BellaMa right away.
Breast pumping doesn’t need to be uncomfortable or painful at all. Selecting a right one according to your needs requires research. It should compliment your requirements in terms of frequency, budget and portability, of course. Therefore, mamas take your time to know your preferences and then make a decision accordingly. Best of luck!!!